- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium beef bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 5-1/4 cups water
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan coated with cooking spray, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, celery and carrot; cook and stir until crisp-tender. Stir in lentils, parsley, bouillon, pepper and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 20-25 minutes or until lentils are tender, stirring occasionally.
Stir in tomato paste, vinegar, brown sugar and salt; heat through. Serve with cheese.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Italian-Style Lentil Soup
Sort By :
"This is one of the better lentil soups I have ever had. It was so easy to make and super cheap to make because I already had many of the ingredients on hand. It is hearty, healthy, and low fat. Very satisfying."
"First time making lentil soup, excellent recipe, I added a couple cloves of garlic and a little bit of tyme."
"I was pleasantly surprised by the flavor of this soup! I've never cooked lentils before, but my husband and I really enjoyed this nice, low-cal addition to dinner."
"This was my first time cooking with lentils and I really enjoyed this soup and will make it again!!"
"Yes I've made it multiple times and have given containers of it to family and friends. They loved it!!!!"