- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 5-1/4 cups water
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium beef bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan coated with cooking spray, saute the onions, celery and carrot in oil until almost tender. Stir in the water, lentils, parsley, bouillon and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until lentils are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the tomato paste, vinegar, brown sugar and salt; heat through. Sprinkle each serving with cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Italian-Style Lentil Soup
Sort By :
"I was pleasantly surprised by the flavor of this soup! I've never cooked lentils before, but my husband and I really enjoyed this nice, low-cal addition to dinner."
"This was my first time cooking with lentils and I really enjoyed this soup and will make it again!!"
"Yes I've made it multiple times and have given containers of it to family and friends. They loved it!!!!"
"Tasty, simple to make, nutritious!"
"This soup is wonderful and is a nice low-calorie lunch!"