Italian-Style Duck Recipe
Tender duck breasts are smothered in a thick tomato sauce and melted mozzarella and cheddar cheeses in this delicious dish from Edna Watts of Arley, Alabama. With pasta on the side, this attractive entree is special enough to serve when company comes.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 40 min. Bake: 30 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 can (29 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley, divided
- 1 envelope spaghetti sauce mix
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons onion salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 8 boneless skinless duck breast halves
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Hot cooked pasta
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute onion and mushrooms in 2 tablespoons butter until tender. Stir in the tomato sauce, Parmesan cheese, 1/4 cup parsley and spaghetti sauce mix. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 2. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, onion salt and garlic salt. Add duck, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat In a large skillet, brown duck on both sides in remaining butter.
- 3. Place in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with tomato mixture; sprinkle with cheeses. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 28-32 minutes or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium, a meat thermometer should read 165°; well-done 180°). Sprinkle with remaining parsley. Serve with pasta. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 428 calories, 21 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 171 mg cholesterol, 1,945 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 42 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC