Italian-Style Cabbage Rolls Recipe
- 1/3 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 medium head cabbage
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) reduced-sodium condensed tomato soup, undiluted, divided
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) reduced-fat reduced-sodium condensed vegetable beef soup, undiluted, divided
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1. Cook rice according to package directions. Meanwhile, cook cabbage in boiling water just until leaves fall off head. Set aside 10 large leaves for rolls. (Refrigerate remaining cabbage for another use.) Cut out the thick vein from the bottom of each reserved leaf, making a V-shaped cut.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the carrot, onion, egg substitute, 2 tablespoons tomato soup, 2 tablespoons vegetable soup, 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning, cayenne, pepper and rice. Crumble turkey over mixture and mix well. Place about 1/3 cupful on each cabbage leaf. Overlap cut ends of leaf; fold in sides, beginning from the cut end. Roll up completely to enclose filling.
- 3. Place rolls seam side down in an 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Combine the remaining soups; pour over cabbage rolls. Sprinkle with remaining Italian seasoning. Cover and bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until cabbage is tender and a meat thermometer reads 165°. Yield: 5 servings.
2 cabbage rolls equals 293 calories, 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 74 mg cholesterol, 582 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 22 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.