Italian-Style Beef Liver Recipe
My family loves liver, but I get tired of serving the standard liver and onions. Here a rich tomato sauce makes the liver nice and tender.Mina Dyck, Boissevain, Manitoba
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound beef liver, cut into bite-size pieces
- 4 teaspoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 cup thinly sliced onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Combine flour and salt; toss with liver. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a skillet, cook liver until no longer pink. Remove and set aside. In the same skillet, saute onion and celery in remaining oil until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, bay leaf, parsley, basil, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add liver; cover and cook 5 minutes longer or until heated through. Remove bay leaf. Serve over spaghetti; sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Italian-Style Beef Liver in Taste of Home February/March 1997, p41
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Italian-Style Beef Liver(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Mar. 30, 2009
I have tried this recipe and shared it with friends. Everyone agrees that it is GREAT!