Italian Stuffed Tomatoes Recipe
- 8 medium tomatoes
- 1/2 pound Johnsonville® Mild Ground Italian Sausage
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup chopped zucchini
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups cooked long grain rice
- 3/4 cup shredded provolone or part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 6 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1. Cut a thin slice off the top of each tomato. Leaving a 1/2-in. thick shell, scoop out the pulp; chop pulp and set aside. Invert the tomatoes onto paper towels to drain.
- 2. Meanwhile, cook sausage, onion and garlic in a skillet until sausage is no longer pink; drain. Add tomato pulp, zucchini, basil, oregano, vinegar, salt and pepper. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in rice, provolone, 3 tablespoons Parmesan and parsley; spoon about 2/3 cup into each tomato.
- 3. Place in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle remaining Parmesan on top. Cover and bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake 15 minutes more or until the tomatoes are heated through. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 172 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 22 mg cholesterol, 399 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 9 g protein.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.