- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 can (12 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon beef bouillon granules
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 cups (16 ounces) 4% cottage cheese
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 24 jumbo shell noodles, cooked and drained
- In a large skillet, cook beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the water, tomato paste, bouillon and oregano; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the egg, cottage cheese, 1 cup mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Stuff shells with cheese mixture.
- Arrange in a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Pour meat sauce over shells. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Italian Stuffed Shells
Sort By :
"I followed the recipe as written......it was a big hit with everyone.....I can see us going back to this many times......"
"My family really liked this! Thanks, we will be making again."
"To make this have any flavor at all, I would have to totally re-make the recipe. It was ok, but really had no flavor."
"It sounds Wonderful and so easy!!Whether you are using Ricotta or Cottage Cheese doesn't really matter, you can always adjust the recipe to suit your taste, Without slamming the original recipe ladies!! That's The Fun of cooking, tweaking a recipe to suit your own taste!This one looks like a Winner!! As soon as I have a Kitchen again, I will be making this dish!! Thank you for sharing...."
"We've made this recipe for years using our own sauce... but we add frozen chopped spinach, and the ground beef to the cheese and stuff all inside the jumbo shells...One of my favourite meals."