Italian Stuffed Portobellos Recipe
“Golden caramelized onions and creamy roasted garlic are an ideal match for the flavors in this recipe. It’s like a quick transport to a ristorante in Rome. For a bit of heat, add red pepper flakes while sauteeing the onions.”—Jeanne Holt, Saint Paul, Minnesota
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 1 hour Bake: 10 min. YIELD:4 servings
- 4 ounces sliced pancetta or bacon strips, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon olive oil, divided
- 4 cups sliced onions
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 whole garlic bulb
- 3 tablespoons crumbled goat cheese
- 4 large portobello mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook pancetta in 1 tablespoon oil until crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon; set aside.
- 2. In the same skillet, cook and stir onions until softened. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes or until deep golden brown. Stir in the sun-dried tomatoes, salt, pepper and pancetta. Remove from the heat; keep warm.
- 3. Remove papery outer skin from garlic (do not peel or separate cloves). Cut top off of garlic bulb. Brush with remaining oil. Wrap bulb in heavy-duty foil. Bake at 425° for 30-35 minutes or until softened. Cool for 10-15 minutes. Squeeze softened garlic into a small bowl; stir in goat cheese and onions.
- 4. Brush mushrooms with oil. Grill, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 6-8 minutes on each side or until tender. Fill mushrooms with onion mixture. Sprinkle with cheeses.
- 5. Place on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with basil. Yield: 4 servings.
1 mushroom equals 349 calories, 25 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 37 mg cholesterol, 828 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 14 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC