Italian Stuffed Portobellos Recipe
- 4 ounces sliced pancetta or bacon strips, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon olive oil, divided
- 4 cups sliced onions
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 whole garlic bulb
- 3 tablespoons crumbled goat cheese
- 4 large portobello mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook pancetta in 1 tablespoon oil until crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon; set aside.
- In the same skillet, cook and stir onions until softened. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes or until deep golden brown. Stir in the sun-dried tomatoes, salt, pepper and pancetta. Remove from the heat; keep warm.
- Remove papery outer skin from garlic (do not peel or separate cloves). Cut top off of garlic bulb. Brush with remaining oil. Wrap bulb in heavy-duty foil. Bake at 425° for 30-35 minutes or until softened. Cool for 10-15 minutes. Squeeze softened garlic into a small bowl; stir in goat cheese and onions.
- Brush mushrooms with oil. Grill, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 6-8 minutes on each side or until tender. Fill mushrooms with onion mixture. Sprinkle with cheeses.
- Place on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with basil. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Italian Stuffed Portobellos(4)
Sort By :
First time eating and cooking portobellos. this was divine. Added a little worchesterstire to the onions, and omitted the cheese. Yum
These are a winner at picnics and BBQ's! I took them as a side dish, and people put the mushroom on their burger roll instead of the burger! I cheat on the garlic step though...I just saute garlic in with the onions.
It was fabulous! I did not have pancetta or bacon on hand and it was still good. My husband loved it as well.
Never used portobello mushrooms before, this was a meal in itself. Took leftovers to work, my lunch mates asked for the recipe.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baking Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Father's Day Side Dishes >
- Grilled Mushrooms >
- Grilled Vegetables >
- Grilling Recipes >
- Italian Recipes >
- Italian Side Dishes >
- Mushroom Grilling Recipes >
- Mushroom Recipes >
- Mushroom Side Dishes >
- Side Dish Recipes >