Cooking the stuffed peppers in a slow cooker is not only convenient, the long cooking process improves the flavor of the filling.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 6 large green or sweet red peppers
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 cups cubed part-skim mozzarella cheese (1/4-inch cubes)
- 1 cup uncooked converted rice
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Additional minced fresh parsley
- Cut tops off peppers and remove seeds; set aside. In a large bowl, combine the beef, mozzarella cheese, rice, onion, garlic, parsley, salt and pepper; spoon into peppers. Transfer to an oval 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker. Pour tomatoes over peppers; pour broth around the sides.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until a thermometer reaches 160° and peppers are tender. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and additional parsley. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Italian Stuffed Peppers in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes Annual 2009, p40
Reviews for Italian Stuffed Peppers
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review