- 6 large green or sweet red peppers
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 cups cubed part-skim mozzarella cheese (1/4-inch cubes)
- 1 cup uncooked converted rice
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Additional minced fresh parsley
- Cut tops off peppers and remove seeds; set aside. In a large bowl, combine the beef, mozzarella cheese, rice, onion, garlic, parsley, salt and pepper; spoon into peppers. Transfer to an oval 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker. Pour tomatoes over peppers; pour broth around the sides.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until a thermometer reaches 160° and peppers are tender. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and additional parsley. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Italian Stuffed Peppers
"Wonderful recipe! I've made this several times with great results. I substitute shredded mozzarella for ease and only used 6 oz to cut back on calories (and barely dusted the peppers with parmesan). Definitely cook for 6 hours or more to make sure the beef and rice are cooked - the peppers will still be yummy."
"very easy and good"
"I used ground turkey instead of beef. Other than that followed recipe as stated and they turned out GREAT! I've made these peppers twice and they are great the next day as well."
"I found this to be a great recipe for the slow cooker. I let it cook for almost 6 hours on low because I was not home but the meat cooked thoroughly and the rice was tender. The mozzarella cheese was a tasty addition. I will make it for the family again. A crock pot disposable liner made clean-up a breeze."