Italian Stuffed Mushrooms Recipe
- 4 bacon strips, diced
- 30 large fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup onion and garlic salad croutons, crushed
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 medium tomato, finely chopped
- 1/4 pound ground fully cooked ham
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1. Preheat oven to 425°. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings.
- 2. Remove stems from mushrooms; set caps aside. Finely chop half of the stems (save the remaining for another use). Add chopped stems to drippings with bacon; saute 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in remaining ingredients.
- 3. Firmly stuff crouton mixture into mushroom caps. Place in a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake 12-15 minutes or until mushrooms are tender. Yield: 15 servings.
2 stuffed mushrooms equals 88 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 217 mg sodium, 4 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.