Italian Stuffed Artichokes Recipe
- 4 large artichokes
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 cups soft Italian bread crumbs, toasted
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1. Using a sharp knife, level the bottom of each artichoke and cut 1 in. from the tops. Using kitchen scissors, snip off tips of outer leaves; brush cut edges with lemon juice. Stand artichokes in a Dutch oven; add 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until leaves near the center pull out easily.
- 2. Invert artichokes to drain; let stand for 10 minutes. With a spoon, carefully scrape out the fuzzy center portions of artichokes and discard.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine the bread crumbs, cheese, parsley, garlic, Italian seasoning, lemon peel, pepper and salt. Add olive oil; mix well. Gently spread artichoke leaves apart; fill with bread crumb mixture.
- 4. Place in an 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until filling is lightly browned. Yield: 4 servings.
1 each: 212 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 596mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 9g fiber), 11g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 vegetable, 1 starch, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Italian Stuffed Artichokes
"Just like Dad used to make. Yes, we are full-blood Italian. Thanks!"
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.