"To create this tasty chili-like stew, I started with a pound of Italian sausage and just kept adding different ingredients that appealed to me," says Joann Schultz of Stevens Point, Wisconsin. "Everyone who tries it enjoys it."
6 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 medium carrots, sliced 1/8 inch thick
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian stewed tomatoes
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 3/4 cup uncooked instant rice
- In a skillet, cook the sausage until no longer pink; drain. Add
- onion, celery, carrots, Italian seasoning, basil, salt and pepper.
- Cook and stir over medium heat for 5 minutes or until the vegetables
- are crisp-tender. Stir in the water, tomatoes and soup; bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until
- vegetables are tender. Stir in the rice; cover and cook for 10
- minutes or until tender. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 239 calories, 10 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 30 mg cholesterol, 999 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 11 g protein.