Italian Stew Recipe
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 medium carrots, sliced 1/8 inch thick
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian stewed tomatoes
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 3/4 cup uncooked instant rice
- 1. In a skillet, cook the sausage until no longer pink; drain. Add onion, celery, carrots, Italian seasoning, basil, salt and pepper. Cook and stir over medium heat for 5 minutes or until the vegetables are crisp-tender. Stir in the water, tomatoes and soup; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in the rice; cover and cook for 10 minutes or until tender. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 239 calories, 10 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 30 mg cholesterol, 999 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 11 g protein.
Reviews for Italian Stew
"This is delicious and easy. I added fresh baby spinach, too."
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.