"To create this tasty chili-like stew, I started with a pound of Italian sausage and just kept adding different ingredients that appealed to me," says Joann Schultz of Stevens Point, Wisconsin. "Everyone who tries it enjoys it."
Recommended: 21 Healthy Fall Stews to Warm Up Cold Nights
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 medium carrots, sliced 1/8 inch thick
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian stewed tomatoes
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 3/4 cup uncooked instant rice
- In a skillet, cook the sausage until no longer pink; drain. Add onion, celery, carrots, Italian seasoning, basil, salt and pepper. Cook and stir over medium heat for 5 minutes or until the vegetables are crisp-tender. Stir in the water, tomatoes and soup; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in the rice; cover and cook for 10 minutes or until tender. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Italian Stew in Quick Cooking September/October 1999, p22
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Italian Stew
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 23, 2009
"This is delicious and easy. I added fresh baby spinach, too."