Italian Steaks Recipe
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 beef top sirloin steak (1 pound)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup Ragú® Homemade Style Pizza Sauce
- 1/4 cup shredded Italian cheese blend
- 1. In a shallow bowl, whisk egg. In another shallow bowl, combine the bread crumbs, basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Cut steak into four pieces; dip each piece in egg, then coat with bread crumb mixture.
- 2. In a large skillet, cook steaks in oil over medium-high heat for 2-4 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°).
- 3. Meanwhile, heat sauce in a small saucepan. Spoon over steaks; sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 4 servings.
1 steak with 1/4 cup sauce and 1 tablespoon cheese equals 264 calories, 11 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 104 mg cholesterol, 435 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 29 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1 fat, 1/2 starch.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.