Italian Steak Sandwich Recipe
My husband created these sandwiches years ago, when we had just begun dating. He fixed them for my family, and we were hooked.—Julie Tullos, Clinton, Mississippi
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 25 min. YIELD:5 servings
- 1 pound frozen beef sandwich steaks, thawed
- 4 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup julienned green pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup chopped dill pickles
- 1/2 cup Italian salad dressing
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh tomato
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 5 hard rolls, split
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1. In a large skillet, cook the steaks in 2 teaspoons oil in batches over medium heat for 3-4 minutes or until no longer pink. Meanwhile, in another skillet, saute the sweet onion and green pepper in remaining oil until tender; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine the pickles, salad dressing, tomato and red onion; set aside.
- 3. Place the roll tops, cut side up, on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with cheese. Broil 4 in. from the heat for 2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Place a steak on each roll bottom; top with onion mixture and pickle mixture. Replace roll tops. Yield: 5 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 721 calories, 49 g fat (18 g saturated fat), 100 mg cholesterol, 1,433 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 30 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC