Italian Squash Casserole Recipe
You can assemble this garlic-kissed veggie dish in advance, but wait to bake it until just before serving. The aroma from the oven will lure everyone in the house to the kitchen.Paul VanSavage, Binghamton, NY
- 1 whole garlic bulb
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 3-1/2 pounds), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 large sweet red peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large red onion, cut into wedges
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary or 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Remove papery outer skin from garlic (do not peel or separate cloves). Cut top off of garlic bulb. Brush with 1/2 teaspoon oil. Wrap bulb in heavy-duty foil. Bake at 425° for 30-35 minutes or until softened. Reduce heat to 400°. Cool garlic for 10 minutes. Squeeze softened garlic into a bowl and mash.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute squash in 1 tablespoon oil until golden brown; transfer to a large bowl. In the same skillet, saute peppers and onion in remaining oil until crisp-tender. Add to squash.
- Stir in the tomatoes, garlic, bread crumbs, parsley, rosemary, salt and pepper. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered, for 30-40 minutes or until squash is tender. Yield: 14 servings (3/4 cup each).
Originally published as Italian Squash Casserole in Country Woman October/November 2009, p37
Reviews for Italian Squash Casserole(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed May. 12, 2011
Absolutely delicious. A bit time consuming to roast the garlic, may try minced garlic next time. I used about a tablespoon of fresh rosemary.
More Recipe Collections
- Baking Recipes >
- Butternut Squash Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Country Woman Side Dishes >
- Country Woman Vegetarian Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Side Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Side Dishes >
- Side Dish Recipes >
- Squash Recipes >
- Thanksgiving Recipes >
- Thanksgiving Side Dishes >