Italian Spumoni Cookies Recipe
These festive cookies look and taste like they're made from scratch. But refrigerated cookie dough makes them a cinch to create. We'll never tell your secret! —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 tubes (16-1/2 ounces each) refrigerated sugar cookie dough
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped maraschino cherries
- 4 to 6 drops red food coloring, optional
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons hazelnut liqueur
- 1/3 cup chopped pistachios
- 4 to 6 drops green food coloring, optional
- 1. Let cookie dough stand at room temperature 5-10 minutes to soften. In a large bowl, beat cookie dough and 3/4 cup flour until combined. Divide dough into three portions.
- 2. Add remaining flour, cherries and if desired red food coloring to one portion. Add cocoa and liqueur to the second portion. Add pistachios and if desired green food coloring to the remaining portion.
- 3. Roll each portion between two pieces of waxed paper into an 8x6-in. rectangle. Remove waxed paper. Place cherry rectangle on a piece of plastic wrap. Layer with chocolate and pistachio rectangles; press together lightly. Wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- 4. Preheat oven to 375°. Cut chilled dough in half widthwise. Return one rectangle to the refrigerator. Cut remaining rectangle into 1/4-in. slices. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Repeat with remaining dough.
- 5. Bake 8-10 minutes or until set. Cool 2 minutes before removing to wire racks. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 4 dozen.
1 cookie equals 103 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 6 mg cholesterol, 87 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC