- 2 tubes (16-1/2 ounces each) refrigerated sugar cookie dough
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped maraschino cherries
- 4 to 6 drops red food coloring, optional
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons hazelnut liqueur
- 1/3 cup chopped pistachios
- 4 to 6 drops green food coloring, optional
- Let cookie dough stand at room temperature for 5-10 minutes to soften. In a large bowl, beat cookie dough and 3/4 cup flour until combined. Divide dough into three portions.
- Add the cherries, red food coloring if desired and remaining flour to one portion. Add cocoa and liqueur to the second portion. Add pistachios and green food coloring to the remaining portion.
- Roll each portion between two pieces of waxed paper into an 8-in. x 6-in. rectangle. Remove waxed paper. Place cherry rectangle on a piece of plastic wrap. Layer with chocolate and pistachio rectangles; press together lightly. Wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Cut chilled dough in half widthwise. Return one rectangle to the refrigerator. Cut remaining rectangle into 1/4-in. slices. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until set. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 4 dozen.
Reviews for Italian Spumoni Cookies
Sort By :
Won't make again. Lots of work for very little flavor differentiation in the layers. I always try new recipes out on my neighbors before adding to my Christmas cookie baking and they agreed with me.
I needed to tweak the flour a bit with the marachino layer but everyone loved these. I put the dough in the freezer once it was layered and it sliced perferctly.
Mine did not turn out so rectangular but everyone liked these cookies, I left out the hazelnut flavoring in the chocolate layer and it was fine.