- 6 large eggs
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup shortening
- 3 teaspoons almond extract
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup warm milk
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Colored sprinkles
- Using a heavy-duty mixer, beat eggs on high speed until light and foamy, about 5 minutes; set aside. In a large bowl, combine the flour, confectioners' sugar and baking powder; on low speed, gradually beat in shortening and extracts until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Gradually add beaten eggs (dough will be stiff).
- Roll dough into 1-in. balls. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 12-14 minutes (tops of the cookies will not brown, but bottoms should brown slightly).
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, milk and extracts until smooth. As soon as cookies are removed from the oven, quickly dip two or three at a time into glaze. Remove with a slotted spoon or tongs; place on wire racks to drain. Immediately top with sprinkles. Let dry for 24 hours before storing in airtight containers. Yield: about 7 dozen.
Reviews for Italian Sprinkle Cookies
Sort By :
"I have a question, do these keep well in an airtight container? For how long? Thanks"
"Great alternative to anise cookies"
"Fantastic! I decided to try this recipe when my husband was away for work, and wasn't sure if it would turn out right. I gladly told him that night when we talked that I had made cookies to rival his mother's!"
"Wonderful! I just tried them and now they will be in my annual list of must haves! My sister tasted them and asked for the recipe too . I am only an amateur cook but I can follow a recipe and I didn't have any trouble making these."
"I first saw this recipe a number of years ago in one the Taste of Home Christmas Cookies book - it was the small one - I had been on the search for a cookie that tasted like my Grandmothers. This is it. I make them every year. I made them this past weekend for my daughters baby shower - tinting the frosting pink and using pink sprinkles - I have been asked for this recipe by three people already - they are delicious!!!"