Italian Spiral Meat Loaf Recipe
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup pizza sauce, divided
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1/2 pound sliced deli ham
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 jar (6 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, 3/4 cup pizza sauce, bread crumbs, onion, green pepper, oregano, garlic, salt and pepper. Crumble beef and sausage over mixture and mix well.
- On a piece of parchment paper, pat beef mixture into a 12x10-in. rectangle. Layer the ham, 1-1/2 cups cheese and mushrooms over beef mixture to within 1 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a short side and peeling parchment paper away as you roll. Seal seam and ends. Place seam side down in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish; brush with remaining pizza sauce.
- Bake, uncovered, 1 hour. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 15-20 minutes or until no pink remains and a thermometer reads 160°. Using two large spatulas, carefully transfer meat loaf to a serving platter. Yield: 12 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Italian Spiral Meat Loaf(37)
Sort By :
I totally agree with the other reviewers. This is a wonderful recipe. The only changes I made was to add a 1/2 cup of ricotta cheese to the meat loaf mixture. Veal, pork and beef. Instead of rolling I simply folded in in half. Much easier to work with. This does make a very large serving. No problem. I cut the meat loaf in 1/2 and placed 1/2 of raw mixture into the freezer all ready to be baked when ready to use. Then I gently reshaped the remaining loaf and baked as directed,
This is by far one of the tastiest meat loafs that I have made in quite a while.
Volunteer Field Editor.( Cooks Corner )
Great meatloaf! I am not a meatloaf fan, but my husband is a meat and potato guy. He loved this meatloaf and I even liked it. It has a ton of flavor. I also used the 'herbed pizza sauce' from TOH for this recipe. It was awesome.
I have made this 3 times, twice I cut recipe in half and it was still great. Good recipe for large group of guests.
we loved this recipe! best meat loaf I have tried.
My family devours this Meat-loaf every time I make it!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baked Ham >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Meat Loaf Recipes >
- Ground Beef Recipes >
- Italian Dinners >
- Italian Recipes >
- Low Carb Dinner Recipes >
- Low Carb Recipes >