Italian Spiral Meat Loaf Recipe
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup pizza sauce, divided
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Mild Italian Links or Ground Sausage
- 1/2 pound sliced deli ham
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 jar (6 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, 3/4 cup pizza sauce, bread crumbs, onion, green pepper, oregano, garlic, salt and pepper. Crumble beef and sausage over mixture and mix well.
- 2. On a piece of parchment paper, pat beef mixture into a 12x10-in. rectangle. Layer the ham, 1-1/2 cups cheese and mushrooms over beef mixture to within 1 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a short side and peeling parchment paper away as you roll. Seal seam and ends. Place seam side down in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish; brush with remaining pizza sauce.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, 1 hour. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 15-20 minutes or until no pink remains and a thermometer reads 160°. Using two large spatulas, carefully transfer meat loaf to a serving platter. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice equals 386 calories, 23 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 130 mg cholesterol, 981 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 31 g protein.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.