- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup pizza sauce, divided
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1/2 pound sliced deli ham
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 jar (6 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, 3/4 cup pizza sauce, bread crumbs, onion, green pepper, oregano, garlic, salt and pepper. Crumble beef and sausage over mixture and mix well.
- On a piece of parchment paper, pat beef mixture into a 12x10-in. rectangle. Layer the ham, 1-1/2 cups cheese and mushrooms over beef mixture to within 1 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a short side and peeling parchment paper away as you roll. Seal seam and ends. Place seam side down in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish; brush with remaining pizza sauce.
- Bake, uncovered, 1 hour. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 15-20 minutes or until no pink remains and a thermometer reads 160°. Using two large spatulas, carefully transfer meat loaf to a serving platter. Yield: 12 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Italian Spiral Meat Loaf
Sort By :
LOVE this meatloaf and I'm not a meatloaf fan! QUESTION: What are the instructions for cooking after freezing? Do I thaw first?
This is the only meatloaf my son will eat and the only one I've made for several years now. It will either make two smaller loaves or enough for me to slice and freeze. It reheats well. Excellent recipe - it's a keeper!
I totally agree with the other reviewers. This is a wonderful recipe. The only changes I made was to add a 1/2 cup of ricotta cheese to the meat loaf mixture. Veal, pork and beef. Instead of rolling I simply folded in in half. Much easier to work with. This does make a very large serving. No problem. I cut the meat loaf in 1/2 and placed 1/2 of raw mixture into the freezer all ready to be baked when ready to use. Then I gently reshaped the remaining loaf and baked as directed,
This is by far one of the tastiest meat loafs that I have made in quite a while.
Volunteer Field Editor.( Cooks Corner )
Great meatloaf! I am not a meatloaf fan, but my husband is a meat and potato guy. He loved this meatloaf and I even liked it. It has a ton of flavor. I also used the 'herbed pizza sauce' from TOH for this recipe. It was awesome.
I have made this 3 times, twice I cut recipe in half and it was still great. Good recipe for large group of guests.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baked Ham >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Meat Loaf Recipes >
- Ground Beef Recipes >
- Italian Dinners >
- Italian Recipes >
- Low Carb Dinner Recipes >
- Low Carb Recipes >