Italian Spinach Sausage Pie Recipe
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Mild Ground Italian Sausage
- 6 eggs
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pastry for double-crust pie (10 inches)
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1. In a skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Separate one egg and set the yolk aside.
- 2. In a bowl, beat the egg white and remaining eggs. Add spinach, mozzarella cheese, ricotta cheese, salt, garlic powder, pepper and sausage; mix well.
- 3. Line a 10-in. pie plate with bottom pastry. Add filling. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in pastry.
- 4. If desired, cut out holly leaf and berry shapes from pastry scraps; place on top crust. Beat water and remaining egg yolk; brush over top.
- 5. Bake at 375° for 50-60 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 692 calories, 50 g fat (22 g saturated fat), 266 mg cholesterol, 1,072 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 29 g protein.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.