Italian Spinach Sausage Pie Recipe
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 6 eggs
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pastry for double-crust pie (10 inches)
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1. In a skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Separate one egg and set the yolk aside.
- 2. In a bowl, beat the egg white and remaining eggs. Add spinach, mozzarella cheese, ricotta cheese, salt, garlic powder, pepper and sausage; mix well.
- 3. Line a 10-in. pie plate with bottom pastry. Add filling. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in pastry.
- 4. If desired, cut out holly leaf and berry shapes from pastry scraps; place on top crust. Beat water and remaining egg yolk; brush over top.
- 5. Bake at 375° for 50-60 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece: 692 calories, 50g fat (22g saturated fat), 266mg cholesterol, 1072mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 29g protein.
Reviews for Italian Spinach Sausage Pie
"A hit . easy to make,"
"Spinach is one of my own favorite vegetables, so I know for sure this will be good! Looks quite easy to make also. Thank you for sharing!!"
"I made this as written, except that I used only 2 c. mozzarella. The filling was plentiful and the taste was delicious. I like that this single dish provides both protein, calcium, and green veggies! Most of my children liked it, once they tried it. Let it cool at LEAST 10 minutes, preferably a bit more, I think, to prevent wateriness."
"I have no idea if I would make again; but since njgigi rated without trying I guess I can too! I am VERY tried of comments being made from folks who do not like one thing or the other -- make with your changes and THEN rank -- keep your negative comments to yourself! Sorry for ranting but too much for one day!"
"This sounds very delicious. I make one similar to this with Italian sausage. The sodium amount in this is almost unbelievable. I would have to lower this number before I would even attempt this."