Christmas at out house is a celebration of tradition. No matter how many guests we might have, our morning brunch has not varied for years. It's always this festive sausage pie served with stollen and fruit salad.
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 6 eggs
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pastry for double-crust pie (10 inches)
- 1 tablespoon water
- In a skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Separate one egg and set the yolk aside.
- In a bowl, beat the egg white and remaining eggs. Add spinach, mozzarella cheese, ricotta cheese, salt, garlic powder, pepper and sausage; mix well.
- Line a 10-in. pie plate with bottom pastry. Add filling. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in pastry.
- If desired, cut out holly leaf and berry shapes from pastry scraps; place on top crust. Beat water and remaining egg yolk; brush over top.
- Bake at 375° for 50-60 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Italian Spinach Sausage Pie in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2004, p16
Reviews for Italian Spinach Sausage Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review