Italian Spinach Braid Recipe
- 1 loaf (1 pound) frozen whole wheat bread dough, thawed
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2/3 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Romano cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon dried minced garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon fennel seed
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg white, beaten
- Pizza sauce, optional
- 1. Roll dough into a 12-in. x 9-in. rectangle. Transfer to a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Transfer to a large bowl; add the spinach, cheeses, garlic, fennel seed, oregano and salt.
- 3. Spread beef mixture lengthwise down the center of dough. On each long side, cut 1-in.-wide strips 3 in. into center.
- 4. Starting at one end, fold alternating strips at an angle across filling. Pinch ends to seal. Brush with egg white. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with pizza sauce if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
1 piece (calculated without pizza sauce) equals 366 calories, 12 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 57 mg cholesterol, 709 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 30 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2-1/2 starch.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.