- 1 loaf (1 pound) frozen whole wheat bread dough, thawed
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2/3 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Romano cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon dried minced garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon fennel seed
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg white, beaten
- Pizza sauce, optional
- Roll dough into a 12-in. x 9-in. rectangle. Transfer to a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Transfer to a large bowl; add the spinach, cheeses, garlic, fennel seed, oregano and salt.
- Spread beef mixture lengthwise down the center of dough. On each long side, cut 1-in.-wide strips 3 in. into center.
- Starting at one end, fold alternating strips at an angle across filling. Pinch ends to seal. Brush with egg white. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with pizza sauce if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Italian Spinach Braid
Sort By :
My husband and I love this. It is a great recipe to adapt it to your own personal tastes. We use 1/2 sausage half ground beef, add onion and mushrooms. Use more cheese. Instead of raising dough then filling cook the meats then roll bread then add meats to bread then raise for 1hr. 15 minutes. When brushing with egg whites sprinkle with garlic and Parmesan cheese before baking..
I couldn't find the frozen bread dough in my grocery store, so I used crescent rolls from the tube and it turned out excellent!
Would not use whole wheat bread dough and would add more cheese. My choices.
Really wonderful. We've made this several times already. Great for a crowd too!
This quickly became one of my family's favorites!