“I've been making this recipe for over 25 years. It's how I got my kids to eat spinach when they were little. This is the dish I'm asked to make the most.” Pat Jasper — Northlake, Illinois
- 1 loaf (1 pound) frozen whole wheat bread dough, thawed
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2/3 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Romano cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon dried minced garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon fennel seed
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg white, beaten
- Pizza sauce, optional
- Roll dough into a 12-in. x 9-in. rectangle. Transfer to a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Transfer to a large bowl; add the spinach, cheeses, garlic, fennel seed, oregano and salt.
- Spread beef mixture lengthwise down the center of dough. On each long side, cut 1-in.-wide strips 3 in. into center.
- Starting at one end, fold alternating strips at an angle across filling. Pinch ends to seal. Brush with egg white. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with pizza sauce if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Italian Spinach Braid in Healthy Cooking April/May 2010, p45
Reviews for Italian Spinach Braid
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review