Italian Spaghetti Bake Recipe
- 2 packages (one 16 ounces, one 8 ounces) spaghetti
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 package (8 ounces) sliced pepperoni
- 1 can (8 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 can (3.8 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, cook the beef, green pepper and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomato sauce, pepperoni, mushrooms, olives and seasonings. Drain spaghetti.
- 2. Spoon 1 cup meat mixture into each of two greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dishes. Layer with spaghetti and remaining meat mixture. Sprinkle with cheeses.
- 3. Cover and freeze one casserole for up to 3 months. Bake the remaining casserole, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through.
- 4. To use frozen casserole: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Cover and bake at 350° for 40 minutes. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 2 casseroles (8 servings each).
1 each: 415 calories, 18g fat (8g saturated fat), 57mg cholesterol, 841mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 25g protein.
Reviews for Italian Spaghetti Bake
"I took this to a church pot luck and the platter came back empty! I'm making this for the second time later this week. My three young boys love it."
"I omit the green peppers and use fresh mushrooms but otherwise follow the recipe. It is a hit whenever i serve it and has a wonderful flavor."
"This recipe is okay. I just personally prefer more sauce with my spaghetti.~ Theresa"
"Like the idea of a dish I can put away in the freezer for another time or as a gift for a new mom. I needed to cook the entire recipe for my family (very large family). A little dry so might add to the sauce the next time. I Look for suggestions from others so appreciate the comments made on variations. Relax mailladyrr!"
"Loved it!!! To Mailladyrr: And how did you like it? Phew!!"
"My hubby loves pasta dishes, this one is a good one, make a few adjustments, add mushrooms, it's different and tasty."
"We make a version of this but we also add Italian hot sausage in addition to the hamburger meat and some sliced green olives and green pepper."
"Didn't care for the addition of pepperoni. Otherwise just okay."
"Never saw bell pepper in my mom's 'gravy' or in my grandmother's either. It changes the flavor of the sauce in something more New Orleans than Italian. Other than that, was an OK recipe, the pepperoni being interchangeable with whatever you have on hand; Italian sausage, ground turkey, ground beef, ground veal and the like. plenty of sauce for me but then Italians don't over-sauce their pasta."
"My grandmother was Italian and she made the best pasta sauce. I will try this recipe but would use Italian hot or mild sausage instead of the pepperoni."
"my husband is from ITALY and when we go to ITALIAN restaurants w/chef's from italy they say we can't cook for americans the way we cook for italians.italians only use a small amount of sauce."
"Yum! I did add some undrained canned diced tomatoes after reading other's comments about not enough tomato sauce. Next time I will try this with sausage in addition to the beef."
"I can't wait to make this Italian Spaghetti bake, it sounds so good. We are always having Pot Luck Dinners and this would be wonderful."
"I plan to make this recipe, and make the meatballs as shown in the picture, and place on top."
"I agree that it looks like meatballs on top.I'll try this, but the amount of tomato sauce seems skimpy. It will probably need adjustments."
"Question, the picture looks like meatballs but the directions don't indicate that?"
"i love this recipe...me and my friend made it together and both our familys loved it-even the picky eaters! i've even used my own recipe for the sauce and done it in the microwave..it turns out great everytime!"