This hearty casserole recipe makes two large baking dishes. The tasty layers of meat sauce, spaghetti and gooey cheese are sure to appeal to pizza-loving kids…and adults. You'll bring home empty pans when you take this to a potluck. —Janice Fredrickson, Elgin, Texas
- 2 packages (one 16 ounces, one 8 ounces) spaghetti
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 package (8 ounces) sliced pepperoni
- 1 can (8 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 can (3.8 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, cook the beef, green pepper and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomato sauce, pepperoni, mushrooms, olives and seasonings. Drain spaghetti.
- Spoon 1 cup meat mixture into each of two greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dishes. Layer with spaghetti and remaining meat mixture. Sprinkle with cheeses.
- Cover and freeze one casserole for up to 3 months. Bake the remaining casserole, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through.
- To use frozen casserole: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Cover and bake at 350° for 40 minutes. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 2 casseroles (8 servings each).
Originally published as Italian Spaghetti Bake in Taste of Home August/September 2004, p38
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Italian Spaghetti Bake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review