Italian Spaghetti and Meatballs for Two Recipe
- 2 tablespoons beaten egg
- 1 tablespoon chopped celery leaves
- 2-1/2 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 1 slice sandwich bread, toasted and crumbled
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces cooked vermicelli
- Additional grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the egg, celery leaves and cheese. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-1/2-in. balls. In a large skillet, brown meatballs in oil in batches; drain.
- 2. In a small saucepan, combine the tomatoes, tomato paste, bread, garlic, sugar, pepper and salt; add meatballs. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until meatballs are no longer pink and sauce is slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Serve with vermicelli; sprinkle with additional cheese. Yield: 2 servings.
1 serving (calculated without additional cheese) equals 495 calories, 23 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 136 mg cholesterol, 599 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 31 g protein.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.