Italian Snack Bread Recipe
Meet the Cook: This snack bread's very versatile - I've served it with spaghetti, as an appetizer and as a main dish. Because it stays so moist, I often bake it a day before. I have been an avid cook ever since my husband and I were married...that was 29 years ago. We have two children - a son 22 and a daughter 19.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1 cup warm water (120° to 130°)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups thinly sliced onion
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the egg, oil oregano, salt and 1-1/2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Cover and let rest 10 minutes. Pat into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan; set aside.
- 2. In a large skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Spoon evenly over dough. Sprinkle with rosemary and salt if desired. Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 3. Bake at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned. Cut into small squares. Serve warm or at room temperature. Yield: about 8 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 254 calories, 11 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 27 mg cholesterol, 158 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC