Italian Sloppy Joes
My mother used to make these for us when we were kids. When I left home, I was sure to take the recipe with me, and now it's one of my husband's favorite dinners. The meat mixture tastes somewhat like pizza.
-Kimberly Speakman, McKinney, Texas
8-10 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 pound bulk spicy Italian sausage
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seed
- 8 to 10 French or submarine rolls, split
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, cook sausage, garlic, green pepper
- and onion over medium heat until the sausage is no longer pink;
- drain. Add the tomato sauce and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce
- heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Spoon about 1/2 cup onto each
- roll; sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving equals 344 calories, 18 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 41 mg cholesterol, 877 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 15 g protein.