This dish is always a hit! The shrimp, orzo, tomatoes and cayenne pepper remind me of a Creole favorite, but the Italian seasoning adds a different twist. The strips of chicken thighs stay nice and moist during the slow cooking. -Karen Scaglione Nanuet, New York
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 2x1-in. strips
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup uncooked orzo pasta or other small pasta
- 1 pound cooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- In a large skillet, brown chicken in oil; transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the next 10 ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or until chicken is no longer pink.
- Discard bay leaf. Stir in pasta; cover and cook on high for 15 minutes or until pasta is tender. Stir in shrimp; cover and cook for 5 minutes longer or until heated through. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Italian Shrimp n Pasta in Quick Cooking January/February 2004, p29
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Italian Shrimp 'n' Pasta
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review