Italian Shredded Pork Stew Recipe
Need a warm meal for a blustery night? Throw together this slow-cooked stew that’s brightened with fresh sweet potatoes, kale and Italian seasoning. The shredded pork is so tender, you’re going to want to make this again and again. —Robin Jungers, Campbellsport, Wisconsin
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Cook: 8 hours YIELD:9 servings
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 cups chopped fresh kale
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (2-1/2 to 3-1/2 pounds)
- 1 can (14 ounces) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- Sour cream, optional
- 1. Place the sweet potatoes, kale, onion and garlic in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Place roast on vegetables. Add the beans and seasonings. Pour broth over top. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender.
- 2. Remove meat; cool slightly. Skim fat from cooking juices. Shred pork with two forks and return to slow cooker; heat through. Garnish servings with sour cream if desired. Yield: 9 servings (3-1/2 quarts).
1-1/2 cups (calculated without sour cream) equals 283 calories, 13 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 78 mg cholesterol, 860 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 24 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC