Italian Shepherd's Pies Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1. In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the marinara sauce, salt and pepper; cook and stir for 8-10 minutes or until thickened. Spoon into four 8-oz. ramekins or custard cups; set aside.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine the flour, cheese, baking powder, salt and Italian seasoning. Stir in milk and butter just until moistened. Spoon dough over meat mixture; place ramekins on a baking sheet.
Bake at 450° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
Freeze option: Cover and freeze unbaked pies. To use, remove from freezer 30 minutes before baking (do not thaw). Preheat oven to 400°. Place pies on a baking sheet; cover edges loosely with foil. Bake as directed, increasing time as necessary to heat through and for a thermometer inserted in center to read 165°. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving equals 542 calories, 27 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 107 mg cholesterol, 976 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 29 g protein.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.