Italian Shepherd's Pie Recipe
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 cup (8 ounces) cream-style cottage cheese
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 cups warm mashed potatoes (without added milk and butter)
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons butter, melted
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Cherry tomatoes, quartered
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- 1. Line unpricked pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450° for 7 minutes. Remove from the oven and remove foil; set aside. Reduce heat to 350°.
- 2. In a large skillet, cook sausage until no longer pink; drain well on paper towels. Place cottage cheese and egg in a blender; cover and process until smooth. Transfer to a large bowl; stir in potatoes, sour cream, oregano, salt and pepper.
- 3. Place sausage in pastry shell; top with potato mixture. Drizzle with butter. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Sprinkle with cheese; let stand until melted. Garnish with tomatoes tossed with minced parsley if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 353 calories, 23 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 81 mg cholesterol, 743 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 15 g protein.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.