Italian Sausage with Polenta Recipe
- 1 package (19-1/2 ounces) Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2-1/2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons prepared pesto
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup cornmeal
- Shaved Parmesan cheese, optional
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in broccoli. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 5-7 minutes or until broccoli is tender.
- 2. Stir in the tomatoes, pesto, pepper flakes and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile, for polenta, bring broth to a boil in a small heavy saucepan. Reduce heat to a gentle boil; slowly whisk in cornmeal. Continue stirring for 10-12 minutes or until polenta is thickened and has a smooth texture. Serve with sausage mixture. Garnish with cheese if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
1 each: 337 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 1131mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 6g fiber), 24g protein .
Reviews for Italian Sausage with Polenta
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.