Local fairs in these parts are famous for sausage and pepper sandwiches. I came up with my own recipe so our friends and family can savor the tasty treats year-round. —Becki Clemetson, Sharpsville, Pennsylvania
- 5 Hungarian wax peppers
- 1 large sweet yellow pepper
- 1 large sweet red pepper
- 2 medium sweet onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 8 Italian sausage links (4 ounces each)
- 8 hoagie buns, split
- Seed wax peppers if desired; cut wax and bell peppers into 2-in. pieces. In a large skillet, saute peppers and onions in oil until tender. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, water, garlic, bay leaves and seasonings; heat through.
- Meanwhile, in another large skillet, brown sausages. Transfer to an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with pepper mixture.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Discard bay leaves. Serve on buns. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Italian Sausage with Peppers in Country Woman August/September 2009, p31
Reviews for Italian Sausage with Peppers
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review