Italian Sausage with Peppers Recipe
- 5 Hungarian wax peppers
- 1 large sweet yellow pepper
- 1 large sweet red pepper
- 2 medium sweet onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 8 Johnsonville® Mild Italian Sausage Links links (4 ounces each)
- 8 hoagie buns, split
- Seed wax peppers if desired; cut wax and bell peppers into 2-in. pieces. In a large skillet, saute peppers and onions in oil until tender. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, water, garlic, bay leaves and seasonings; heat through.
- Meanwhile, in another large skillet, brown sausages. Transfer to an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with pepper mixture.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Discard bay leaves. Serve on buns. Yield: 8 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Italian Sausage with Peppers(20)
Sort By :
This is awesome!!! Taste just like it does at fair! Even BETTER! My hubby and I were very impressed...been telling everyone about it everywhere i go! :) gonna try to do ahead and stick in crockpot...hope it works!
I was raised near Chicago, IL and have searched for years for a recipe to duplicate what I used to get there - now I have!!! This is by far the best recipe I've tasted outside of Chi Town!!! Thanks so much!
Great recipe. We enjoyed it, even with the tomatoes! Why do people feel that they have to mention that they are of Italian Decent, then critisize the recipe? Beckie Clemetson never said she was Italian and this is how it's done! She said it's a fair favorite!
I agree with salliegadden. So WHAT if you have never heard of making sausage and peppers with tomatoes! So??? Why be so critical? If you don't want to add tomatoes, then don't!!!! That's just being nit picky. That isn't a review.
I add Marsala wine to the tomato base and it is very tasty, it does say Italian sausage---with peppers and sauce so people dont be so quick to judge, this is a great receipe, thanks
More Recipe Collections
- Baking Recipes >
- Country Woman Dinner Recipes >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Country Woman Sandwich Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >