- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 jar (7-1/2 ounces) marinated quartered artichoke hearts, drained and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup dry red wine or chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- Hot cooked gemelli or spiral pasta
- In a large skillet, cook sausage, onion and garlic over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink and onion is tender, breaking up sausage into crumbles; drain.
Stir in artichoke hearts, tomato sauce, wine and Italian seasoning; heat through. Gently stir in cheese. If desired, sprinkle with parsley. Serve with pasta.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled sausage mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Place sausage mixture in a saucepan; heat through, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary. Yield: 4 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Italian Sausage with Artichokes and Feta
"I liked this recipe, my husband did not, but he's from Italy and objected to the feta cheese. I found this recipe to be quick, easy and flavorful. I will make it again when my husband is not home. I used a 8 oz. can of tomato sauce because I did not want to waste a half can of sauce and a 4 oz. packet of feta cheese."