- 1/3 pound bulk hot Italian sausage
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-3/4 cups beef broth
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 3/4 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/3 cup sliced fresh carrot
- 1/3 cup dry red wine or additional beef broth
- 1/3 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 3/4 cup frozen cheese tortellini
- 1/2 cup sliced quartered zucchini
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Crumble sausage into a large saucepan; cook over medium heat until no longer pink. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels. In the drippings, saute onion until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the broth, water, tomatoes, green pepper, carrot, wine, tomato sauce, tomato paste, oregano and basil. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Skim fat. Stir in the sausage, tortellini, zucchini and parsley. Cover and simmer 10-15 minutes longer or until tortellini is tender. Yield: 2 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Italian Sausage Tortellini Soup
Sort By :
I have been making this soup since it was first published in 2007! I triple this to make 6 servings. It tastes even better the next day! Definitely a keeper.
Just found this recipe and went to the store to pick up the few ing. i needed.I had some pre-cooked sausage in the freezer so i used that and just sauteed my onion and garlic in olive oil.I also added the zucchini with my carrots and tomatoes because i like very tender veggies.The results were delicious,the house smelled wonderful while it simmered.I am making copies of this to give to co-workers!!
This was so good. The only changes I made was to use Italian Turkey Sausage and do it in my little slow cooker because I can't stand up. I cooked everything for one hour on high then added the zucchini and tortellini. It turned out very good. It tasted great on a very cold night.
I've made this many times and my family LOVES it!! I sprinkle the top of each bowl with fresh grated parmesan cheese and serve with homemade bread and it's a hit every time. My teenage granddaughter even took the recipe to college.
More Recipe Collections
- Broth Soup Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Cooking For Two >
- Cooking For Two Magazine >
- Cooking For Two Recipes >
- Italian Recipes >
- Italian Soup >
- Italian Soups >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Soup Recipes >
- Sausage Soup >
- Soup Recipes >
- Soups & Stews for Two >
- Soups, Stews & Chilies Recipes For Two >
- Squash Recipes >
- Tomato Recipes >