Italian Sausage Subs Recipe
- 2 Italian turkey sausage links (4 ounces each)
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced onion
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup julienned sweet red pepper
- Dash pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 Italian rolls or submarine buns, split
- 1/4 cup Ragú® Homemade Style Pizza Sauce
- 1 slice provolone cheese, halved (3/4 ounce)
- 1. In a small nonstick skillet, brown sausages on all sides over medium heat. Add broth; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove sausages and keep warm; discard broth.
- 2. In the same pan, saute onion in oil until crisp-tender. Add red pepper and pepper; cook until red pepper is crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in vinegar and sausages; heat through.
- 3. Spread rolls with pizza sauce; top with the sausage, cheese and onion mixture. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 2 servings.
1 sandwich (prepared with turkey sausage and reduced-fat cheese) equals 497 calories, 22 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 66 mg cholesterol, 1,328 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 30 g protein.