Italian Sausage Subs Recipe
Sue Hoyt of Portland, Oregon shares this traditional favorite that dresses up Italian sausage with onion, sweet red pepper and pizza sauce. It’s sure to fill you up!
- 2 Italian turkey sausage links (4 ounces each)
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced onion
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup julienned sweet red pepper
- Dash pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 Italian rolls or submarine buns, split
- 1/4 cup pizza sauce
- 1 slice provolone cheese, halved (3/4 ounce)
- 1. In a small nonstick skillet, brown sausages on all sides over medium heat. Add broth; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove sausages and keep warm; discard broth.
- 2. In the same pan, saute onion in oil until crisp-tender. Add red pepper and pepper; cook until red pepper is crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in vinegar and sausages; heat through.
- 3. Spread rolls with pizza sauce; top with the sausage, cheese and onion mixture. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 2 servings.
1 each: 497 calories, 22g fat (7g saturated fat), 66mg cholesterol, 1328mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 30g protein .
Reviews for Italian Sausage Subs
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC