Sue Hoyt of Portland, Oregon shares this traditional favorite that dresses up Italian sausage with onion, sweet red pepper and pizza sauce. It’s sure to fill you up!
Recommended: 21 Breakfast Sandwiches Ready in 30 Minutes
- 2 Italian turkey sausage links (4 ounces each)
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced onion
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup julienned sweet red pepper
- Dash pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 Italian rolls or submarine buns, split
- 1/4 cup pizza sauce
- 1 slice provolone cheese, halved (3/4 ounce)
- In a small nonstick skillet, brown sausages on all sides over medium heat. Add broth; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove sausages and keep warm; discard broth.
- In the same pan, saute onion in oil until crisp-tender. Add red pepper and pepper; cook until red pepper is crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in vinegar and sausages; heat through.
- Spread rolls with pizza sauce; top with the sausage, cheese and onion mixture. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Italian Sausage Subs in Cooking for 2 Spring 2006, p33
Reviews for Italian Sausage Subs
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review