Italian Sausage Subs Recipe
Sue Hoyt of Portland, Oregon shares this traditional favorite that dresses up Italian sausage with onion, sweet red pepper and pizza sauce. It’s sure to fill you up!
- 2 Italian turkey sausage links (4 ounces each)
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced onion
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup julienned sweet red pepper
- Dash pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 Italian rolls or submarine buns, split
- 1/4 cup pizza sauce
- 1 slice provolone cheese, halved (3/4 ounce)
- In a small nonstick skillet, brown sausages on all sides over medium heat. Add broth; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove sausages and keep warm; discard broth.
- In the same pan, saute onion in oil until crisp-tender. Add red pepper and pepper; cook until red pepper is crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in vinegar and sausages; heat through.
- Spread rolls with pizza sauce; top with the sausage, cheese and onion mixture. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Italian Sausage Subs in Cooking for 2 Spring 2006, p33
Reviews for Italian Sausage Subs(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review