Italian Sausage-Stuffed Zucchini Recipe
- 6 medium zucchini (about 8 ounces each)
- 1 pound Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh oregano or 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Cut each zucchini lengthwise in half. Scoop out pulp, leaving a 1/4-in. shell; chop pulp. Place zucchini shells in a large microwave-safe dish. In batches, microwave, covered, on high 2-3 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- 2. In a large skillet, cook sausage and zucchini pulp over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink, breaking sausage into crumbles; drain. Stir in tomatoes, bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, herbs and pepper. Spoon into zucchini shells.
- 3. Place in two ungreased 13x9-in. baking dishes. Bake, covered, 15-20 minutes or until zucchini is tender. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake, uncovered, 5-8 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 6 servings.
2 stuffed zucchini halves equals 206 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 39 mg cholesterol, 485 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 17 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1/2 starch.
Reviews for Italian Sausage-Stuffed Zucchini
"I used spicy beef sausage and added two cloves of garlic- delicious."
"made this tonight and it was delicious! Very fast and easy as well so perfect for a weeknight meal after work. Instead of using turkey sausage, I used the hot and spicy ground pork by Johnsons. Adds a bit more flavor and kick. Paired it with a side of kale salad"
"I added onions and mushrooms. This worked really well with my very large zucchini. And everyone liked it. It was different."
"Sounds very tasty, but since it's baked 'covered'....does it come out somewhat soggy? I'd hate to use zucchini and turkey sausages, only to be disappointed in the final result."
"Will make using hamburger, Thank you for the idea. Looks yummy."
"I liked the idea of this recipe but went with ingredients I had on hand. Ground beef, a can of drained fire roasted tomatoes and shredded Monteray Jack cheese were my substitutions. I also added 3 cloves of crushed garlic for added flavor. This is an easy recipe to change to personal taste!"
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.