Italian Sausage-Stuffed Zucchini Recipe
- 6 medium zucchini (about 8 ounces each)
- 1 pound Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh oregano or 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Cut each zucchini lengthwise in half. Scoop out pulp, leaving a 1/4-in. shell; chop pulp. Place zucchini shells in a large microwave-safe dish. In batches, microwave, covered, on high 2-3 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- 2. In a large skillet, cook sausage and zucchini pulp over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink, breaking sausage into crumbles; drain. Stir in tomatoes, bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, herbs and pepper. Spoon into zucchini shells.
- 3. Place in two ungreased 13x9-in. baking dishes. Bake, covered, 15-20 minutes or until zucchini is tender. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake, uncovered, 5-8 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 6 servings.
2 stuffed zucchini halves: 206 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 39mg cholesterol, 485mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 17g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1/2 starch.
Reviews for Italian Sausage-Stuffed Zucchini
"We thought these had really good flavor but rather dry. We added a little marinara on top and it was wonderful"
"This was light and delicious! I will definitely make it again. I used sharp cheddar cheese on top because i had it on hand. I think it added a little extra flavor."
"I used spicy beef sausage and added two cloves of garlic- delicious."
"I added onions and mushrooms. This worked really well with my very large zucchini. And everyone liked it. It was different."
"Sounds very tasty, but since it's baked 'covered'....does it come out somewhat soggy? I'd hate to use zucchini and turkey sausages, only to be disappointed in the final result."
"Will make using hamburger, Thank you for the idea. Looks yummy."