Italian Sausage Stew
In North Syracuse, New York, Cnora Cooper warms up her family with this satisfying stew. "Add a green salad and hot Italian bread for a great meal on a cool spring day," she suggests. "Leftovers are terrific, too."
6-8 ServingsPrep: 5 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds Johnsonville® Mild Ground Italian Sausage
- 1 cup water, divided
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed French onion soup, undiluted
- 3 medium potatoes, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas and pearl onions
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a Dutch oven or large kettle over low heat, cook sausage in 1/2
- cup water until no longer pink; drain. Add tomatoes, soup, potatoes
- and Worcestershire sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and
- simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in peas and mushrooms; cover and simmer
- for 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Combine flour and
- remaining water to form a smooth paste; stir into stew. Bring to a
- boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes over medium heat. Sprinkle
- servings with Parmesan cheese if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Wine: Medium-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese,