Italian Sausage Soup Recipe
- 1 can (49-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 2 cups cut fresh green beans
- 1 can (15 ounces) cannellini or white kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped fennel bulb
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 5 Italian sausage links
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups coarsely chopped fresh spinach
- Shredded Parmesan cheese, optional
- 1. In a Dutch oven, combine the first 10 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, brown sausage in oil over medium heat. Add a small amount of hot water. Cover and cook until sausage is no longer pink; drain. Cut into 1/4-in. slices and add to soup. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- 3. Add spinach. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until spinach is wilted. Garnish with Parmesan cheese if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
1-1/2 cup: 266 calories, 13g fat (4g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 1391mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 6g fiber), 14g protein .
Reviews for Italian Sausage Soup
"Nice alternative to our regular soup. Used Hot Italian Sausage. We had to omit the spinach because we did not have it on hand. With the left over soup, the second day we topped pasta with it. I think we almost liked it better over pasta!!"