When my wife and I have friends over, we love to serve these sandwiches. This is a convenient recipe, since it can be prepared the day before and reheated. -Mike Yaeger, Brookings, South Dakota
Recommended: Slow Cooker Sandwich Recipes
- 20 Italian sausages
- 4 large green peppers, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (12 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 20 sandwich buns
- Shredded mozzarella cheese, optional
- In a large Dutch oven, brown sausages a few at a time; discard all but 2 tablespoons drippings. Saute peppers and onion in drippings until crisp-tender; drain.
- In the same pan, combine the tomato paste, tomato sauce, water, sugar, garlic, basil, oregano and salt. Add the sausages; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until heated through. Serve on buns. Top with cheese if desired. Yield: 20 servings.
Originally published as Italian Sausage Sandwiches in Taste of Home June/July 1995, p37
Reviews for Italian Sausage Sandwiches
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 7, 2012
"Fast and easy! Just the right amount of seasonings! My favorite recipe!"
Reviewed Jan. 11, 2011
"It is a very good meal. it is a little tomatoey if your not big on tomatoes. i have made it several times."