The key to the distinctive flavor in this casserole is the use of Italian sausage. The nice balance of ingredients gives it an old-fashioned taste and it's just the right amount for two.
- 1/2 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup uncooked instant rice
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- In a small skillet, cook the sausage, onion and red pepper over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink; drain. Remove from the heat. Stir in the rice, basil, soup, water and 1/4 cup cheese.
- Transfer to an ungreased 3-cup baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until rice is tender. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Sausage Rice Casserole in Reminisce February/March 2007, p 49
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Italian Sausage Rice Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review